DIFC Courts Rules of Court Order No. 1 of 2015 In Respect of the Jurisdiction of the Small Claims Tribunal of the DIFC Courts
I, Michael Hwang, Chief Justice of the DIFC Courts, make the following Order:
In exercise of the powers conferred on me by Article 8(3)(a) of Dubai Law No. 9 of 2004, as amended; and
after having reviewed:
Dubai Law No. 9 of 2004 in respect of the DIFC, as amended;
Dubai Law No. 12 of 2004 in respect of the Judicial Authority at the DIFC, as amended;
DIFC Law No. 10 of 2004 in respect of the DIFC Courts Law;
DIFC Order No. 1 of 2014 in respect of the Rules of the DIFC Courts
1. This Order may be cited as the Rules of Court 2015 Order No. 1 of 2015.
2. The DIFC Courts Small Claims Tribunal (SCT) jurisdiction, as set out in the Rules of the DIFC Courts (RDC) Part 53.2 shall be amended to read as follows:
“The SCT will hear and determine claims within the jurisdiction of the DIFC Courts:
(1) where the amount of the claim or the value of the subject matter of the claim does not exceed AED 500,000 or;
(2) where the claim relates to the employment or former employment of a party; and
all parties elect in writing that it be heard by the SCT (there is no value limit for the SCT’s elective jurisdiction in the context of employment claims); or
(3) which do not fall within the provisions of sub-paragraphs (1) or (2) above, but in respect of which:
(a) the amount of the claim or the value of the subject matter of the claim does not exceed AED 1,000,000; and
(b) all parties to the claim elect in writing that it be heard by the SCT, such election can be made in the underlying contract (if any) or subsequently
(4) such other claims as may be ordered or directed by the Chief Justice to be heard by the SCT from time to time.”
3. This shall first be reflected in the online version of the RDC, and subsequently in the hardcopies due for publication in the first half of 2015.
4. The amended Rules will come into force on XX XX 2015.
Chief Justice of the DIFC Courts
Issued: XX XX 2015
1. The DIFC Courts Small Claims Tribunal (SCT) shall henceforth exercise a default jurisdiction over all applications lodged with the Courts where the value of the claim (whatever its nature) does not exceed AED 500,000. This in no way affects RDC 53.37, which grants the SCT judge discretion to order that a small claim be transferred to the Court of First Instance in circumstances where the judge considers it to be appropriate.
The Dubai International Financial Centre and all its affiliates are committed to preserve the confidentiality, integrity and availability of client data and personal information.
Dubai International Financial Centre and all its affiliates employees, vendors, contract workers, shall follow Information Security Management System in all the processes and technology.
The content of the DIFC Courts website is provided for information purposes only and should be disregarded when making decisions on inheritance and any other matters. Whilst every reasonable effort is made to make the information and commentary accurate and up to date, the DIFC Courts makes no warranties or representations to you as to the accuracy, authenticity or completeness of the content on this website, which is subject to change at any time without notice. The information and commentary does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice by the DIFC Courts or any person employed or connected with it or formerly so employed or connected, to any person on any matter, be it in relation to inheritance, succession planning or otherwise. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal advice from a suitably qualified lawyer in relation to your personal circumstances and your objectives. The DIFC Courts does not assume any liability and shall not be liable to you for any damages, including but not limited to, direct or indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages, losses or expenses arising in connection with this website, its administration and any content or lack thereof found on it. The information on this web site is not to be displayed except in full screen format. Although care has been taken to provide links to suitable material from this site, no guarantee can be given about the suitability, completeness or accuracy of any of the material that this site may be linked to or other material on the internet. The DIFC Courts cannot accept any responsibility for the content of material that may be encountered therein.