Claim No: SCT 119/2015
THE DUBAI INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL CENTRE COURTS
In the name of His Highness Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Ruler of Dubai
IN THE SMALL CLAIMS TRIBUNAL OF DIFC COURTS
BEFORE H.E. JUSTICE SHAMLAN AL SAWALEHI
Hearing: 18 August 2015
Judgment: 25 August 2015
JUDGMENT OF H.E. JUSTICE SHAMLAN AL SAWALEHI
UPON hearing the Claimant and the Defendant
AND UPON reading the submissions and evidence filed and recorded on the Court file
IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:
1.The Defendant shall pay the Claimant the sum of AED 183,750.
2. The Defendant shall pay the Claimant the Courts fees.
3. The Claimant requested to be refunded 100% of the amount that he paid to the Defendant under the shareholder agreement. The Defendant had refused to pay the Claimant, which had led the Claimant to file this case before the Court.
4. No settlement was reached by the parties at the end of the consultation and, consequently, the case was sent for adjudication. On 18 August 2015 I heard both parties’ submissions.
5. In the Claimant’s Particulars of Claim, the Claimant argued that he was approached by the Defendant to become a shareholder, and then he submitted the subscription form with the payment of USD 50,000 to purchase 50,000 shares in July 2014. The Claimant further argued that the Defendant received the payment through a bank cheque, and since then he never received a signed subscription form, or any notifications of his shares or shareholder incorporation status.
6. In their Defence, the Defendant’s representative admitted that the Claimant’s payment had been received by the old management team of the company, but had not incorporated the Claimant as a shareholder. The Defendant further argued that the Claimant can be incorporated as shareholder of the Defendant Company against what he has paid.
7. I have examined both parties’ submissions and I have found that the Defendant was paid by the Claimant the sum of AED 183,750 on 24 July 2014.
8. In my view, the Claimant had made that payment to the Defendant’s account, in order to enter into a binding agreement with the Defendant, and as a result become incorporated as a shareholder within the Defendant’s Company in July 2014.
9. It is very obvious in this case that an agreement to invest in the company shares was not entered into by the Claimant as he has never received a signed subscription form, or any notifications of his shares or shareholder incorporation status, and the Claimant has not been compensated for the sum that was drawn by the Defendant. Therefore the Defendant shall return back the amount paid by the Claimant on 24 July 2014.
Maha Al Mehairi
Date of Issue: 25 August 2015
The Dubai International Financial Centre and all its affiliates are committed to preserve the confidentiality, integrity and availability of client data and personal information.
Dubai International Financial Centre and all its affiliates employees, vendors, contract workers, shall follow Information Security Management System in all the processes and technology.
The content of the DIFC Courts website is provided for information purposes only and should be disregarded when making decisions on inheritance and any other matters. Whilst every reasonable effort is made to make the information and commentary accurate and up to date, the DIFC Courts makes no warranties or representations to you as to the accuracy, authenticity or completeness of the content on this website, which is subject to change at any time without notice. The information and commentary does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice by the DIFC Courts or any person employed or connected with it or formerly so employed or connected, to any person on any matter, be it in relation to inheritance, succession planning or otherwise. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal advice from a suitably qualified lawyer in relation to your personal circumstances and your objectives. The DIFC Courts does not assume any liability and shall not be liable to you for any damages, including but not limited to, direct or indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages, losses or expenses arising in connection with this website, its administration and any content or lack thereof found on it. The information on this web site is not to be displayed except in full screen format. Although care has been taken to provide links to suitable material from this site, no guarantee can be given about the suitability, completeness or accuracy of any of the material that this site may be linked to or other material on the internet. The DIFC Courts cannot accept any responsibility for the content of material that may be encountered therein.