IN THE DUBAI INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL CENTRE COURTS
PRACTICE DIRECTION NO. 4 OF 2016
Neutral Citation of DIFC Courts Judgments
This Practice Direction will come into effect on the date of signature. It may be cited as Practice Direction 4 of 2016 – Neutral Citation of DIFC Courts Judgments and may be abbreviated to PD 4/2016.
1.This Practice Direction shall apply as regards all judgments of the DIFC Courts, those which have already been issued as well as those which are issued subsequent to it coming into effect.
3. A unique number will be given by the DIFC Courts Registry to each approved judgment issued by the DIFC Courts. The judgments will be numbered in the following way:
Small Claims Tribunal  DIFC SCT 1,2,3 etc.
Court of First Instance  DIFC CFI 1,2,3 etc.
Court of Appeal  DIFC CA 1,2,3 etc.
4. Under these new arrangements, para 29 in Smith v Jones, the twelfth numbered judgment of the year in the DIFC Courts Court of First Instance, would be cited:
Smith v Jones  DIFC CFI 12 at .
5. The neutral citation will be the official number attributed to the judgment by the DIFC Courts and will be used on at least one occasion:
(i) when the judgment is cited in a later judgment; and
(ii) when the judgement is cited in submissions or other documents filed by practitioners.
6. If a judgment is cited on more than one occasion, only one abbreviation (if desired) will be used. Thus Smith v Jones  DIFC CFI 12 could be abbreviated to Smith v Jones, or Smith’s case, but preferably not both in the same judgment or other document.
7. If it is desired to cite more than one paragraph of a judgment each numbered paragraph should be enclosed with a square bracket. Thus: Smith v Jones  DIFC CFI 12 at -, or Smith v Jones  DIFC CFI 12 at , , and -.
8. Once the judgment is reported, the citation from the law report series will be used and the neutral citation will appear before that citation.
9. The neutral citation arrangements for judgments may be extended to include other reasoned orders of the DIFC Courts.
10. Where a judgment issued by the DIFC Courts is redacted so as to ensure that parties’ names remain anonymous in the interests of confidentiality, in accordance with PD 3/2016, the neutral names will be used in place of the actual names of the parties within the neutral citation.
Dated this 20 day of October 2016
Chief Justice Michael Hwang
The Dubai International Financial Centre and all its affiliates are committed to preserve the confidentiality, integrity and availability of client data and personal information.
Dubai International Financial Centre and all its affiliates employees, vendors, contract workers, shall follow Information Security Management System in all the processes and technology.
The content of the DIFC Courts website is provided for information purposes only and should be disregarded when making decisions on inheritance and any other matters. Whilst every reasonable effort is made to make the information and commentary accurate and up to date, the DIFC Courts makes no warranties or representations to you as to the accuracy, authenticity or completeness of the content on this website, which is subject to change at any time without notice. The information and commentary does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice by the DIFC Courts or any person employed or connected with it or formerly so employed or connected, to any person on any matter, be it in relation to inheritance, succession planning or otherwise. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal advice from a suitably qualified lawyer in relation to your personal circumstances and your objectives. The DIFC Courts does not assume any liability and shall not be liable to you for any damages, including but not limited to, direct or indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages, losses or expenses arising in connection with this website, its administration and any content or lack thereof found on it. The information on this web site is not to be displayed except in full screen format. Although care has been taken to provide links to suitable material from this site, no guarantee can be given about the suitability, completeness or accuracy of any of the material that this site may be linked to or other material on the internet. The DIFC Courts cannot accept any responsibility for the content of material that may be encountered therein.