Claim No. CFI-056-2017
THE DUBAI INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL CENTRE COURTS
IN THE COURT OF FIRST INSTANCE
BANQUE CANTONALE DE GENEVE
SEYED ABBASALI MARASHI
DEFAULT JUDGMENT MADE BY JUDICIAL OFFICER NASSIR AL NASSER
UPON the request made by the Claimant on 18 February 2018 for a Default Judgment (the “Request”) in accordance with Rule 13.1 (1) and (2) of the Rules of the DIFC Courts (“RDC”), it is found as follows:
1.The Request is not one prohibited by RDC 13.3 (1) or (2).
2. The Defendant has failed to file an Acknowledgment of Service or a Defence to the claim (or any part of the claim) with the DIFC Courts and the relevant time for so doing has expired (RDC 13.4).
3. The Defendant has not: (i) applied to the DIFC Courts to have the Claimant’s statement of case struck out under RDC 4.16; or for immediate judgment under RDC Part 24 (RDC 13.6(1)); (ii) satisfied the whole claim (including any claim for costs) on which the Claimant is seeking judgment; or (iii) filed or served on the Claimant an admission under RDC 15.14 or 15.24 together with a request for time to pay (RDC 13.6(3)).
4. The Claimant filed a Certificate of Service in accordance with RDC 9.43 on 1 February 2018.
5. The Claimant has followed the required procedure for obtaining Default Judgment RDC 13.7 and 13.8.
6. The Caim is for a specified sum of money and the request specifies the date by which the whole of the judgment debt is to be paid or the times and rate at which it is to be paid by instalments (RDC 13.9).
7. The request includes a request for interest pursuant to RDC 13.14 and the Claim Form sets out the calculation of interest in the claim.
8. The DIFC Courts are satisfied that the conditions of RDC 13.22 have been met.
9. The Claimant has submitted evidence, as required by RDC 13.24, that (i) the claim is one that the DIFC Courts have power to hear and decide; (ii) no other court has exclusive jurisdiction to hear and decide the claim; and (iii) the claim has been properly served (RDC 13.22)
ACCORDINGLY IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:
10. The Request is granted.
11. The Defendant is ordered to pay the Claimant the amount of USD 11,965,180.55 within 14 days.
12. The Defendant shall pay the Claimant interest at the rate of 5% per annum in the amount of USD 223,272.00 from 7 January to 2017 to 18 February 2018, with a daily rate of USD 958.00 accruing until full payment.
13. The Defendant shall pay the Claimant costs in the sum of USD 39,615.40.
Nassir Al Nasser
Date of Issue: 15 March 2018
The Dispute Resolution Authority and all its affiliates are committed to preserve the confidentiality, integrity and availability of client data and personal information.
Dispute Resolution Authority and all its affiliates employees, vendors, contract workers, shall follow Information Security Management System in all the processes and technology.