Claim No. CFI 023/2017
THE DUBAI INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL CENTRE COURTS
IN THE COURT OF FIRST INSTANCE
DAMAC PARK TOWERS COMPANY LIMITED
DEFAULT JUDGMENT MADE BY JUDICIAL OFFICER NASSIR AL NASSER
1.The request is not one prohibited by RDC 13.3 (1) or (2).
2. The Defendant has filed an Acknowledgment of Service but has failed to file a Defence and the relevant time for so doing has expired (RDC 13.5(1)).
3. The Defendant has not: (i) applied to the DIFC Courts to have the Claimant’s statement of case struck out under RDC 4.16; or for immediate judgment under RDC Part 24 (RDC 13.6(1)); (ii) satisfied the whole claim (including any claim for costs) on which the Claimant is seeking judgment; or (iii) filed or served on the Claimant an admission under RDC 15.14 or 15.24 together with a request for time to pay (RDC 13.6(3)).
4. The Claimant filed a Certificate of Service in accordance with RDC 9.43 on 7 May 2017.
5. The Claimant has followed the required procedure for obtaining Default Judgment [RDC 13.7 and 13.8].
6. The claim is for a specified sum of money and the request specifies the date by which the whole of the judgment debt is to be paid or the times and rate at which it is to be paid by instalments (RDC 13.9).
7. The request includes a request for interest pursuant to RDC 13.14 and the Claim Form sets out the calculation of interest in the claim, but the Claimant failed to provide a justification for the 12% interest.
9. The Claimant has submitted evidence, as required by RDC 13.24, that (i) the claim is one that the DIFC Courts have power to hear and decide; (ii) no other court has exclusive jurisdiction to hear and decide the claim; and (iii) the claim has been properly served (RDC 13.22/13.23).
ACCORDINGLY IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:
10. The request is granted.
11. The SPA dated 24 November 2009 signed by the Claimant and the Defendant in relation to the Unit No. (DFO/2A/215A Office) shall be void.
12. The Defendant is ordered to pay the Claimant the amount of USD 600,178.00 at the rate of one plus Emirates Inter Bank Offered Rate (EIBOR) from the maturity date until the date of payment.
13. The Defendant shall pay the Claimant its costs of the proceedings to be assessed if not agreed.
14. The Claimant shall serve this Order on the Defendant.
Nassir Al Nasser
Date of Issue: 25 September 2017
The Dubai International Financial Centre and all its affiliates are committed to preserve the confidentiality, integrity and availability of client data and personal information.
Dubai International Financial Centre and all its affiliates employees, vendors, contract workers, shall follow Information Security Management System in all the processes and technology.
The content of the DIFC Courts website is provided for information purposes only and should be disregarded when making decisions on inheritance and any other matters. Whilst every reasonable effort is made to make the information and commentary accurate and up to date, the DIFC Courts makes no warranties or representations to you as to the accuracy, authenticity or completeness of the content on this website, which is subject to change at any time without notice. The information and commentary does not, and is not intended to, constitute legal advice by the DIFC Courts or any person employed or connected with it or formerly so employed or connected, to any person on any matter, be it in relation to inheritance, succession planning or otherwise. You are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal advice from a suitably qualified lawyer in relation to your personal circumstances and your objectives. The DIFC Courts does not assume any liability and shall not be liable to you for any damages, including but not limited to, direct or indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages, losses or expenses arising in connection with this website, its administration and any content or lack thereof found on it. The information on this web site is not to be displayed except in full screen format. Although care has been taken to provide links to suitable material from this site, no guarantee can be given about the suitability, completeness or accuracy of any of the material that this site may be linked to or other material on the internet. The DIFC Courts cannot accept any responsibility for the content of material that may be encountered therein.