October 26, 2020 Arbitration - Orders
Claim No.ARB XX/2020
THE DUBAI INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL CENTRE COURTS
IN THE COURT OF FIRST INSTANCE
ORDER OF H.E JUSTICE SHAMLAN AL SAWALEHI
IF YOU LUCINA DISOBEY THIS ORDER YOU MAY BE HELD TO BE IN CONTEMPT OF COURT AND MAY BE IMPRISONED, FINED OR HAVE YOUR ASSETS SEIZED.
ANY OTHER PERSON WHO KNOWS OF THIS ORDER AND DOES ANYTHING WHICH HELPS OR PERMITS THE RESPONDENT TO BREACH THE TERMS OF THIS ORDER MAY ALSO BE HELD TO BE IN CONTEMPT OF COURT AND MAY BE IMPRISONED, FINED OR HAVE THEIR ASSETS SEIZED.
1. This is an anti-suit injunction made against Lucina (the “Respondent”) on 21 October 2020 by H.E. Justice Shamlan Al Sawalehi on the application of Ludhyan (the “Applicant”).
2. The Judge read the affidavits listed in Schedule A and accepted the undertakings set out in Schedule B at the end of this order.
3. This order was made at a hearing on 21 October 2020.
5. The Respondent must pay the Applicant’s reasonable costs of and occasioned by these proceedings, such costs to be the subject of detailed assessment, but with the Respondent making an interim payment forthwith of AED 286,164.30 (66% of AED 433,582.27) and USD 7,300 in respect of DIFC Court fees.
VARIATION OR DISCHARGE OF THIS ORDER
6. Anyone served with or notified of this order may apply to the Court at any time to vary or discharge this order (or so much of it as affects that person), but they must first inform the Applicant’s legal representatives. If any evidence is to be relied upon in support of the application, the substance of it must be communicated in writing to the Applicant’s legal representatives in advance.
INTERPRETATION OF THIS ORDER
7. A Respondent who is an individual who is ordered not to do something must not do it himself or in any other way. He must not do it through others acting on his behalf or on his instructions or with his encouragement.
8. A Respondent which is not an individual which is ordered not to do something must not do it itself or by its directors, officers, partners, employees or agents or in any other way.
PARTIES OTHER THAN THE APPLICANT AND RESPONDENT
9. Effect of this order
It is a contempt of court for any person notified of this order knowingly to assist in or permit a breach of this order. Any person doing so may be imprisoned, fined or have their assets seized.
10. Persons outside the DIFC
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2) below, the terms of this order do not affect or concern anyone outside the jurisdiction of this court.
(2) The terms of this order will affect the following persons in a country or state outside the jurisdiction of this court:
(a) the Respondent or his officer or agent appointed by power of attorney;
(b) any person who:
(i) is subject to the jurisdiction of this Court;
(ii) has been given written notice of this order at his residence or place of business within the jurisdiction of this court; and
(iii) is able to prevent acts or omissions outside the jurisdiction of this Court which constitute or assist in a breach of the terms of this order; and
(c) any other person, only to the extent that this order is declared enforceable by or is enforced by a court in that country or state.
NAME AND ADDRESS OF APPLICANT’S LEGAL REPRESENTATIVES
11. The Applicant’s legal representatives are:
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
Office No. C, 10th Floor
Emirates Towers Offices
PO Box 504903 | Dubai | United Arab Emirates
Mantle Law Limited
24th Floor Al Sila Tower
Abu Dhabi Global Market Square
United Arab Emirates
COMMUNICATIONS WITH THE COURT
Date of Issue: 26 October 2020
For better web experience, please use the website in portrait mode