September 16, 2022 COURT OF FIRST INSTANCE - ORDERS
Claim No. CFI 003/2020
THE DUBAI INTERNATIONAL FINANCIAL CENTRE COURTS
IN THE COURT OF FIRST INSTANCE
IDBI BANK LIMITED
(1) PRINTER AND STATIONARY INDUSTRIES LLC
(2) UNION EMIRATES PRINTING & PUBLISHING- F.Z.C
(3) ROYAL PRINTING PRESS LLC
(4) SHIJIN MATHEW
(5) MATHEW SCARIA VADHYANATH
ORDER OF H.E. JUSTICE NASSIR AL NASSER
UPON the request made by the Claimant on 9 September 2022 (the “Request”) for a Default Judgment in accordance with Rule 13.1 [(1) and (2)] of the Rules of the DIFC Courts (“RDC”), it is found as follows:
1. The Request is not one prohibited by RDC 13.3.
2. The Defendant has failed to file an Acknowledgment of Service or a Defence to the claim (or any part of the claim) with the DIFC Courts and the relevant time for so doing has expired (RDC 13.4).
3. The Defendant has not: (i) applied to the DIFC Courts to have the Claimant’s statement of case struck out under RDC 4.16; or for immediate judgment under RDC Part 24 (RDC 13.6(1)); (ii) satisfied the whole claim (including any claim for costs) on which the Claimant is seeking judgment; or (iii) filed or served on the Claimant an admission under RDC 15.14 or 15.24 together with a request for time to pay (RDC 13.6(3)).
4. The Claimant filed a Certificate of Service in accordance with RDC 9.43 on 21 March 2022.
5. The Claimant has followed the required procedure for obtaining Default Judgment [RDC 13.7 and 13.8].
6. The claim is for a specified sum of money and the request specifies the date by which the whole of the judgment debt is to be paid or the times and rate at which it is to be paid by instalments (RDC 13.9).
7. The Request does not include a request for interest.
8. The DIFC Courts are satisfied that the conditions of RDC 13.22 and RDC 13.23 have been met.
9. The Claimant has submitted evidence, as required by RDC 13.24, that (i) the claim is one that the DIFC Courts have power to hear and decide; (ii) no other court has exclusive jurisdiction to hear and decide the claim; and (iii) the claim has been properly served (RDC 13.22/13.23).
ACCORDINGLY IT IS HEREBY ORDERED THAT:
10. The Request is granted.
11. The Defendants jointly or severally are ordered to pay the Claimant the amount of USD 3,430,880.16 plus post judgment interest at the rate of 9% per annum from the date of this Judgment until the date of full payment.
12. The Defendants jointly or severally shall pay the Claimant legal costs to be assessed by the Registrar.
Ayesha Bin Kalban
Date of issue: 16 September 2022
For better web experience, please use the website in portrait mode